[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:42:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:22 PM Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> known bits in the BPSK signal are the first 12 bits of each minute.

This seems transparently incorrect to me.  If your receiver has access
to only a tiny chunk of signal and no idea of anything else then yes,
but that isn't a realistic restriction.  Given that we know the signal
is a clock all the bits are almost perfectly predictable.  Unless I'm
confused about something about the signal.

The result is that you have some additional delay in learning the
carrier phase-- since an optimal decoder will make use of both past
and future signal to predict the bitstream, but that isn't really any
challenge against the PLL time constants that would be used.