[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Dec 5 14:09:43 UTC 2018

Hey Poul-Henning!

On Tue, 04 Dec 2018 22:56:54 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> And the BPSK does improve timing.
>
> If you have access to, and tracks the carrier, you can nail the
> timing all the way down to 1/your_sample_rate.

Yes, but the same is true for pure AM modulation. If you sample
and track the carrier digitally, then you get quite a bit of
processing gain due to the long integration time. My point is that
the WWVB BPSK modulation does not give (much of) an advantage
over the AM modulation because the amount of known information
is so low.... That is, unless I miss something and there is actually
an advantage that can be exploited.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.
                 -- Miss Matheson, The Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson