[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 5 14:57:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 12/5/18 3:47 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 06:29:01 -0800
> "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting:  isn't 162 kHz within the European
>> Long Wave Broadcast Band?  Wouldn't there be a
>> problem with QRM from these megawatt stations?
>> Excuse the naive questions; we don't have longwave
>> in the states, so no experience here.
>
> Indeed it is. Allouis is a former LW band radio station,
> which the French used as time signal station as well[1].
> But that also means that it is a much stronger transmitter
> than e.g. DCF77 (2MW vs 50kW if wikipedia is correct)

I think I recall that they where running Allouis at half power, but then
1 MW is not all bad.

Looking at it using a Kiwi receiver just north of Stockholm, it comes in
nice and clean with 100 Hz sidebands from what looks like a PM whose 4th
sideband is nearly suppressed, so is 8th, 12/13, 21... so slightly more
that 4th and multiples.

The fun part is that I coould very quickly check this sitting with my
laptop at work, remote sensing and SDR at it's finest.

It would be fun to develop some extensions for KiwiSDR.

The Loran-C/Chayka plug-in does not calculate position, so already there
would be some fun little mini-project to attempt.

Cheers,
Magnus