[time-nuts] VLF time station, cheap sdrs

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:04:24 UTC 2018

Here is my capture of a few minutes of WWVB amplitude and phase from last
fall.
It's somewhat larger of a file than I had remembered, more like 3.5MB, and
it has
lots of fine detail.  So be prepared for it to take half a minute or so
(maybe more,
depending) before it starts to plot.

The data was recorded with an SDR-14 SDR, using a DXE broadband loop
antenna.  I had to wait until the wee hours to get a decent-looking signal
in
my high-line-noise area (Kerrville, TX).

The demodulation was done after the capture was complete, in 'C' SW that
I've written to make this kind of signal analysis fairly easy and regular.
Basically
I examine the spectrum of the raw signal using an FFT, and manually pick the
band limits within which I want to work.  Then I shift that band to roughly
zero-
center frequency, and take an IFFT to return to time domain.  At this point
the
frequency is invariably a bit off, and I have an interactive graphical
means of
correcting the frequency error pretty accurately.  Hence, my "Costas loop"
is
really a manual process to de-tilt the phase versus time plot.

Normally I quit there, but realized that I needed a better way to plot such
long record, so I developed a little program to plot the data in spiral
form to
an EasyCAD file, to which I manually added explanatory text.

Thanks to TVB for converting my oversize pdf plot to something reasonable.

Enjoy,

Dana