[time-nuts] Modern signal generators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Dec 12 15:47:19 UTC 2018

Hi

Usually on HF, the issue is large signal rejection. Phase noise very definitely
gets into that part of things. Other components in the signal chain do as well.
Once the synthesizer is no longer the weak link in the chain, spending more
to improve it (vs spending on the other components) probably does not make
a lot of sense. Since the synthesizer is *far* from ideal, that sort of begs the
question of just how troublesome the other parts are and how much better a
device *could* be built.

This does seem to be wandering a bit from a Time related topic …..

It does illustrate the point that “good enough” may be way far  away from
“pretty good” and yet even more distant from “as good as it gets”.  The
question on any system is always “how good do you need / what are you
doing?” ….

Bob