[time-nuts] Modern signal generators

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 12 17:56:13 UTC 2018

On 12/12/18 9:40 AM, Russ Ramirez wrote:
> Don, you mention digital attenuators. What parts do you have experience
> with? I am in the midst of a signal generator design for a club build
> project. Looking at digital attenuator parts now, but many are spec'd in
> the GHz range. Looking to get down to -140 dBm from +20, or as close to
> this range as possible. TIA

You're looking for 160 dB of attenuation - that's hard - if something
leaks at 100 dB down, that's 60 dB more than what you want.

If you're interested in precision phase measurements, it's even tougher,
because a leaking signal that's "on frequency" wont necessarily make
your level wrong, but will perturb the phase (e.g. 20 dB down spurious
signal will make the phase wrong by 25 degrees (arccos(0.9))

It's awfully easy to get leakage that's -100 or -120dBc - backwards
through the power supply is a favorite one. Through gaps or holes in
enclosures. Through the braid of the coax.

At JPL we regularly do measurements of signals at <-150 dBm into
sensitive deep space receivers, and we're obsessive about phase (since
that's how we measure the distance to spacecraft to a gnat's eyelash).
Historically, we found, for instance that most signal generators leak
more through the chassis than come out the output jack at minimum level.
   We test the receivers in a screen room, with the generators outside,
so you get about 100dB from the screen room to help. Waveguide helps too
(WG below cutoff is a very effective filter) and it's not too tough to
make waveguide joints that have better than 150dB isolation to the
outside (lap them smooth, use pins, wrap in foil tape)

Coax is always a challenge because the shields leak.

What we used to do is take an 8663 and low pass filter it real well,
then do a low level multiply by 7 inside the screen room to get it up to
the 7 or 8 GHz we need.  That way we can make sure that spurs and
leakage is out of band.