[time-nuts] HP Cesium Standards in the International Atomic Time Scale, the legend of Felix Lazarus, and the "top cover

Rice, Hugh (IPH Writing Systems) hugh.rice at hp.com
Sun Dec 23 00:11:01 UTC 2018

Hi Magnus –

To resolve the cliff hangers:  😊

There really wasn’t a way to “fix” the top cover effect.   Looking back now as a career engineer, rather than from my inexperienced view from 1986, what I realize is that in any precise application, there will always be something holding you a step away from perfection.    You can’t tune this out in every individual product.     One challenge with the 5061B is that it was a *primary* standard, meaning that it didn’t need calibration, by definition.   If you spent a bunch of effort calibrating a unit, is it still a primary standard?     With careful enough measurements, you could detect that all were not identical.     (We would do this by comparing the phase drift of the 10MHz signal against our house standard.  Over a few hours, an instrument would drift a few nano-seconds.     That is, the unit under test was different than the house standard.

But it then begs the question, which one is right?   Time keeping labs, like the one with NBS in Colorado, or the west coast standard in our building in Santa Clara CA, or the one in Geneva, would determine the “best” time by averaging a bunch of primary standards.  The unit that was closest to the average would be declared the house standard. (At least that is how I remember it worked.)   Essentially establishing truth by taking a vote.     (As many on this list know so well.)

For a specific instrument shipping to an isolated customer, where they didn’t have another standard to compare against, you had to take your cesium standard as perfect.  It was the primary standard after all.   As the instrument would get handled or power cycled, it could shift a touch each time.  And God forbid if you took the top cover off for some reason!   All of Felix’s fine tuning, screw by screw, would be lost.   (I don’t think he actually hand tuned each screw on every product.  More likely, he pointed out that if the screws were removed or tightened differently, the frequency offset would change.   Not an ideal behavior. )

From a practical “factory” approach to the 5061 products, we guaranteed that every cesium standard was within specs.   We couldn’t guarantee that they would be exactly centered (if we could, we would tighten up the specs), or would always remain centered (or even the same) if you messed around it with it.    Just comfortably within specs.

So, with no disrespect to Felix and his efforts to make things better, at some point, work to perfect each unit becomes silly.   You could fool yourself into thinking it was better, but then only if the instrument was never touched, moved, power cycled, etc.    And even then, would it still be exactly the same months later?

Fortunately, the managers and senior engineers had a realistic perspective on how perfect was achievable.   Felix was good in that he kept us from being sloppy, and sometimes would find real things that we screwed up.    But torqueing screws carefully (and uniquely for each product), or twisting cables left vs. right  was a step too far.  To really make the cesium standards better, they needed a better design.    And that was what the 5071A was all about.   But that is a story for another day.

Hugh Rice