[time-nuts] HP Cesium Standards in the International Atomic Time Scale, the legend of Felix Lazarus, and the "top cover

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 24 16:53:03 UTC 2018

On 12/24/18 5:36 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> The gotcha is - if you have a very unique part in a device and it goes away, how
> many years of stock do you buy on the “last chance” order?
>
> In the case of the 5071, I’d bet a pretty good brand of six pack that nobody on the
> planet would have guessed 20 years ago that it still would be in production today.

EOL buys for a product line are plausible.  But if you're building
one-off (or limited quantity)- maybe not.  At work (JPL) there's a whole
aspect to sparing that's kind of subtle - you get funded per mission,
and it has a cost cap at the proposal stage.

Buying extra parts "just because" cuts into your budget - what do you
give up because you bought extra parts, maybe some engineering hours? or
test time?  - it's easy to say "oh what's a few parts here and there",
but pretty soon, it's getting to be a big part of your budget.

So you buy enough parts to build what you're going to launch, plus
enough maybe for an EM or breadboard, and then a few spares in case
there's some assembly errors, or you need to scrap a board.  If the
problem happens early enough, you've got time to burn some reserves and
order more.

The other problem in the space business is that there is a lot of desire
to re-use known good designs.  That part may have been a long way from
EOL when it was first used, but now, 5-10 years later, maybe it's EOL,
and there's no obvious "drop in" replacement.  Do you redesign, or do
you buy the last remaining stock and hope for the best?

This tends to be a cascading issue - mission A designs and uses part X,
and has spares.  Smaller Mission B uses the spares to build their widget
using the Mission A design. They buy a few spares too. Smaller Mission C
does the same thing.  Now we're 10 years in, in some cases still using
spare parts bought by original Mission A.

I am still using spare connectors and such from Cassini (launched in
1997) in things like breadboards at work.