[time-nuts] AM vs PM noise of signal sources

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 7 17:58:47 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 12:26 PM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/7/18 8:05 AM, Arnold Tibus wrote:

>>> That's the Wein bridge stabilized by a light bulb, popularized by Messrs Hewlett and Packard a while ago.
>>> and follow the instructions there.
>> Hello everybody, excuse me please,
>> but I see quite often mentioned the 'Wein bridge'. (Wein in german is 'vino' or 'wine' ;-)
>> Not of real technical importance, but shouldn't this not be correctly called a 'Wien bridge'?
>> As I know that this tricky circuit was developed by Max Wien in 1891.
>> Max Karl Werner Wien was a German physicist and the director of the Institute of Physics at the University of Jena at that time.
>>  (sorry, I am a nut ;-)  )
>

> Ah yes. And I imagine then that the pronounciation should be in english “veen"

This time of year, it’s the word on the label right after the term Gluh. I tend to never / ever
get that one right either. It always comes out Glugh …. can’t think of why :)

The Wien bridge is a very “low Q” resonator approach. It will give you amazingly low distortion
(low harmonics) at the same time it does pretty poor amplitude and phase noise.