[time-nuts] KS-24361 Lady Heather problem

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:26:05 UTC 2018

I've been running Lady Heather against a KS24361 again for a few days, and
found it working reasonably well. It's the X11 version, running on Debian 9
with the xfce window manager.

it hasn't locked up, but I generally have it on an alternative screen
(Workspace in xfce terms - not another monitor) and occasionally it will
bleep for no obvious reason. Quite often (notably, but not only, after a
bleep), swapping to that screen will show it has having received some
command so that it's displaying something other than the default - perhaps
a zoomed in display of some sort. Not always the same thing. ESCAPE reverts
to the normal display.

I feel as though it's getting some unexpected window manager events and
handling them in unintended ways.

I also just tried a second RS422 cable to the (fake) ref-1 unit, running
two copies of lady heather each with their own config file : one uses
/dev/ttyUSB0 and the other /dev/ttyUSB1. This is fairly broken, though I'm
convinced i've done it OK in the past. The first copy blanks its display
while the second appears to take it over, yet using the other (as expected)
serial port.

I say take it over because instead of updating a few times and then
settling down to a slowly changing display, the second window seems to
quickly show the whole content while the first goes dark. As though there's
some confusion over which instance owns which window.

All this makes me think there's a bug in the window event handling
somewhere and in your case perhaps it receives something that makes it
freeze.

Mark, is there a way to get LH to log its UI events so I can track what
it's trying to process ?