[time-nuts] Need a Watch Recommendation

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Tue Mar 6 09:26:20 UTC 2018

On 3/5/2018 7:38 AM, Don Murray via time-nuts wrote:

> So, Time Nuts...  any suggestions or recommendations?

For non-formal, day-to-day wear, I've been partial to Casio G-Shock
watches for a long time. They're rugged, reliable, and have the basic
features one might want: stopwatch, countdown timer, a few user-settable
alarms, etc. without too many bells and whistles.

Watches with "Multi-Band 6" have long wave time signal receiving
capability and can receive signals from WWVB, MSF, DCF77, and
transmitters in China and Japan.

They also make watches that have GPS receivers, and hybrid GPS and long
wave receivers for redundancy.

I've worn a GWM850-1, which is a Multi-Band 6 watch, for a long time and
it's served me well. Unfortunately, Casio doesn't make that specific
model anymore, but there's lots of other similar models available. Mine
tries to set itself every night starting at midnight and trying again
hourly until it either succeeds at setting the time or it fails after
4:00am. It also charges its internal battery from a solar panel formed
into the watch face, so one never (modulo the battery eventually
degrading) needs to change it. I've found that even with liberal use of
the EL backlight, the battery never gets below the "medium" level during
winter when the watch rarely sees the sun, and then fully charges up
again in springtime.

Cheers!
-Pete

--