[time-nuts] 4046 replacement

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 6 18:11:49 UTC 2018

Hi Charles,

On 05/06/2018 06:08 PM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Magnus wrote:
>
>> If you use it without care and knowledge, beware. That goes for any
>> tool we apply
>
> Indeed!  The Cardinal Rule of design!  (So often unfollowed....)
>
> "An engineer is someone who can figure out what questions need to be
> asked, figure out how to answer them, and tell when they are correctly
> answered."

Indeed. I don't claim to be expert on the 4046 family of PLL chips, but
at least I can share my experience and let you know about the things I
learned from being bitten.

Then, reading Gardners book, and advancing to full PI loop, I feel more
comfortable about mixer or S/R-gate loops. The "magic" of some detectors
have become less of a benefit for many designs. In general, most of my
designs have become much simpler and robust. However, it's always good
to have alternatives.

Cheers,
Magnus