[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Oleg Skydan olegskydan at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:44:42 UTC 2018

Bob, thanks for clarification!

From: "Bob kb8tq" <kb8tq at n1k.org>
> If you collect data over the entire second and average that down for a
> single point, then no, your ADEV will not be correct.

That probably explains why I got so nice (and suspicious) plots :)

> There are a number of papers on this. What ADEV wants to see is a single
> phase “sample” at one second spacing.

After I read your answer I remembered some nice papers from prof. Rubiola,
me bad - I was able to answer my question by myself. When we take a single
phase "sample" at start and at end time of the "each tau" it is equivalent
to summing all timestamps intervals I collect during that "tau", but by
doing LR processing I calculate *weighted* sum, so the results will differ.
So, it appears "ADEV" calculations is PDEV (parabolic) in reality, because
of the current firmware processing.

I made a test with two plots for illustration - one is the classical ADEV
(with 2.5ns time resolution), the second one with LR processed data (5e6
timestamps per second). Both plots are made from the same data. It is
obvious the classical ADEV is limited by the counter resolution in the left
part of the plot. It is interesting is it possible to use the 4999998 extra
points per each second to improve counter resolution in ADEV measurements
without affecting ADEV?

Thanks!
Oleg UR3IQO