[time-nuts] MEMS oscillators

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 30 12:44:14 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 3:50 AM, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> How sensitive to atmospheric environment are MEMs oscillators ?
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/9si6r9/postmortem_mri_disables_every_ios_device_in/
>

> It gets closer to time-nuts territory in the earlier discussion - see
> captaincool's contribution some way down :
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/9mk2o7/mri_disabled_every_ios_device_in_facility/

The helium leak sounds a bit sketchy, especially when you're talking
about a system that has large RF and magnetic fields.  Why would a MEMS
resonator care about what gas it is surrounded by.

That said, I recall someone telling me about problems with early MEMS RF
switches and needing some trace amount of water vapor to make them work
- work fine on the bench, but them into thermal vacuum testing and after
some amount of time they stop working, as the H2O diffuses out of the
(non-hermetic) packages.