[time-nuts] PLL/GPSDO/etc learning resources for mere mortals

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 3 15:09:20 UTC 2018

Hi

…. ummm ….. errrr …. cost wise a “pure FPGA” approach may or may not be
best for a GPSDO. Functionally it will do everything you need to do and more.
Indeed you will need one that is big enough to do the job. That’s getting ever
easier as time marches on. Tools are generally a matter of what you already
have for a toolchain and your experience with it. There are some terrific ( though
often expensive) tools for doing this and that on almost any device you can
think of.

Functionally, you can go “pure logic” and get things working. It’s maybe not the
way most of us would go. You can get FPGA’s with ARM cores hard coded into
the chip. You can also dump a wide range of MCU’s into the logic of the FPGA.
Tacking a RAM chip on may well be required in some of these approaches.

Lots of options !!!!

Bob