[time-nuts] Noise of digital frequency circuits (was: Programmable clock for BFO use....noise)

Mattia Rizzi mattia.rizzi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 10:31:01 UTC 2018

Hi Attila, everyone,
very interesting discussion!

>People talk of aliasing and sampling,
but do not describe where the sampling happens in the first place.
After all, it's a time-continuous system and as such, there is no
sampling.

I would say that the sampling occurs when you're using only a slice of an
input signal.  For instance, If you're using only the zero-crossing slice
of a sinewave to produce a divided version rather than the full envelope.
It's a matter of how you process information in your circuit.

>"A Physical Sine-to-Square Converter Noise Model,"
> by Kinali, 2018

I read the paper, very interesting as well!
I have a  minor remark, in the paper you relate the ISF (let's say
"sampling window") to the output slew rate of the comparator. I would say
that the sampling window should be related to the comparator input stage
bandwidth. If you have an high bandwidth input stage (e.g. 5 GHz) followed
by a slew rate limited output stage (e.g. 100 MHz) , high frequency noise
will trigger the output circuit and aliasing it. Viceversa, if you have a
low bandwidth input stage, even if the output stage is very fast, you don't
get input noise aliasing.

cheers
Mattia