[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 16:20:25 UTC 2019

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 9:02 AM Adam Kumiszcza <akumiszcza at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 1:01 PM shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM Adam Kumiszcza <akumiszcza at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Although there is one method using WSL, there is also the "native" method
> >

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Networking-Blog/Top-10-Networking-Features-in-Windows-Server-2019-10-Accurate/ba-p/339739
> > "Precision Time Protocol - Try it out!"
> >

> Thanks! The link at the bottom is to a .doc file, which gives some
> explanations. I'll try it out more thoroghly later. (
> https://aka.ms/PTPValidation).
>
> Some of the required links do not work, though, so it all seems a long way
> till stable I guess.

I've not tried it yet, the links all worked for me. In case it is a setting
in your word viewer, I have saved it as a PDF (attached)

> I have run PTP on a rPi 3B without any kernel modifications as a
> > grandmaster (with a ublox GPS to provide time and PPS), and experimented
> > with different NICs (intel, broadcom and solarflare, all with HW
> > timestamping) as clients in x64 hosts.
> >

> What type of PTP did you use? ptpd (https://github.com/ptpd/ptpd) or
> linuxptp (http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/)?

I used ptpd

> I've tried the latter, and used the following ntp.conf (part of it here):
>
> #PPS Kernel mode
> server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
> fudge 127.127.22.0 time1 +0.000000 flag3 0 refid PPS
>
> tos mindist 0.002
>
> #GPS (NMEA)
> server 127.127.20.0 mode 89 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst prefer
> fudge 127.127.20.0 flag1 0 flag3 0 time2 0.059089 refid GPS stratum 2
>
> #local PTP reference
> server 127.127.28.0
> fudge 127.127.28.0 refid PTP
>
> /etc/linuxptp/ptp4l.conf has the following lines:
> clock_servo             ntpshm
> ntpshm_segment          0
> priority1               10
> priority2               10
>
> (the rest was left as default)

The ntp.conf should take the NMEA feed (as "wall clock" time) and PPS.for
precise time, and ideally a connection from other NTP servers to ensure
that the NMEA feed is "sane" If the host is also running as a PTP GM, it
should not be feeding PTP time (that it is generating) back into NTP.

I ran ntp (ntpsec) fed from gpsd for time and PPS, and then just ran ptpd
as a GM, taking its time from the "trained" (by ntp) clock on the rPi

 /etc/linuxptp/timemaster.conf is as follows: