[time-nuts] Building a DMTD/phase noise set in the 21st century (was: Keysight N5511A - phase noise measurements down to theoretical-177 dBm/Hz)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Aug 24 19:46:09 UTC 2019

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 07:35:06 -0700
"Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:

> It is easy to homebrew a phase detector using a high LO drive mixer
> (eg JMS-5H+ $12.95) followed by an LT1028/LT1128.
> Then all you need is a low frequency spectrum analyzer.
> If you don't need to go below 20 Hz offset, you can use
> software that makes your PC sound card into a spectrum analyzer.
> Depending on what you are doing, you may need to add an op amp
> after the LT1X28 to make a phase locked loop.

If you are going the soundcard route, I would not recommend to mix
down as low as with DMTD systems. The ADCs used in soundcards
have very poor DC performance. They don't need to have one anyways,
as the lowest most people can hear is in the 20-50Hz range.
Due to that, I would suggest to have the IF frequency between 100Hz
and 1kHz and then perform the rest of the analysis in software,
maybe even including another down-mixing step down to DC. As you
have always two channels, I would recommend to use two mixers fed with
an LO that is 90°C out of phase to get I and Q components. This will
further reduce noise, at least to some extend. While the isolation
between the ADC inputs in soundcards is pretty darn good, the noise
isolation isn't. So there is some correlation there that cannot be
removed (easily).

Another important thing to know with audio ADCs is, that they are
almost always some sigma-delta variant. This gives them a high linearity
and low noise with moderate cost. But that also means that the higher
the bandwidth you are using, the higher the noise floor becomes, as
you are "averaging" over less and less samples. I.e. while an audio
ADC might be spec'ed to be sampling at 192kHz, you will be only able
to use up to 20kHz with the nice low noise floor that is specified.
If you go beyond that, you will have a corresponding increase in
noise.

In a mail on this ML pretty much three years ago, I wrote the
following:

Subject: [time-nuts] ADCs for phase noise measurement (was: windows for FFT measurements of phase noise)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 15:33:30 +0200
---schnipp---
Alternatively, I would suggest using one of the modern sigma-delta
or SAR ADCs, which can deliver increadibly high ENOB and SNR at
astonishing sampling rates. Good candidates might be:

AD7982, 18bit 1Msps
AD7984, 18bit 1.33Msps
LTC2378-20, 20bit 1Msps
LTC2368-24, 24bit 1Msps

Eval boards for these are available (between 100 and 200€) and interface
with SPI. You can either use an USB SPI dongle (between 5 and 50€) or
use a small uC board to interface with the PC. Saving the samples in
a wav file and using one of the many FFT tools shouldn't be a problem.