[time-nuts] Building a DMTD/phase noise set in the 21st century

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Aug 30 09:45:04 UTC 2019

--------
In message <5D68C7EF.6080007 at telight.com>, ed breya writes:

>I think there may be some confusion over the "super-capacitor" term.

I did some characterization of various kinds of large capacitors
some years back, and my conclusion was that environmental effects
scale super-linearly with capacitance for almost all types.

If you want stable capacitance, silver-mica and picofarads it is.

Next best is plastic-foil and unfortunately Teflon seems to be best
and unobtanium, except as soviet surplus, with prices jacked up
because of audiohomoepathicians.

The temperature-sensitivity of all electrolytics is different from
pretty much any other type of capacitor, in that it has a component
related to chemical reactions.  That makes them totally unsuitable
for filtering any voltage references.