[time-nuts] BG7TBL FA1 frequency analyzer

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 30 20:57:37 UTC 2019

(Hopefully this is not a duplicate post...  hotmail has been having issues)

The FA1 is a small, USB powered frequency counter.   You supply it with a 10 MHz reference and an input frequency of 1 .. 80 MHz.   It outputs a text string of the measured frequency every second.  They cost around $80 .. $120.

Apparently there is a PLL inside... the text string has a "PLL unlock" flag.  There is no info on how it works and I have not opened mine up.

I did a simple noise test on one where the input and ref clocks were from a Tbolt.  It looks like the measurement noise is around +/- 0.0002 Hz.

Lady Heather can now read it.  Attached is a screen capture of the noise test.