[time-nuts] Frequency Electronis 5608A standard

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Feb 3 22:07:00 UTC 2019

I've been playing with a Frequency Electronics 5608A "Frequency
Standard."  It's a 2U rack mount beast with battery pack and a module
labeled as a 10 MHz Rb standard, and another as a 5 MHz VCXO.

I originally thought that the VCXO was a cleanup oscillator for the Rb,
but that doesn't seem to be the case.  As best I can tell, the Rb module
accepts a 10 MHz *input* and its output is a control voltage that goes
to the VCXO.  The 5 MHz VCXO goes through a doubler to send 10 MHz to
the Rb, and has distribution for a bunch of 5 MHz and 1 MHz outputs on
the rear panel.  There are no 10 MHz outputs.

The "LOCK" indicator on the front panel lights up.  Early tests indicate
that the short term stability is pretty good, but it has a bathtub
shaped aging curve that's more like a crystal than an Rb.

Google doesn't turn up any hits on this model number.  Has anyone here
encountered one of these guys and know what it was used for, or have
info on the design?

Thanks,
John