[time-nuts] HP5065A on eBay WARNING

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Feb 3 22:34:09 UTC 2019

Hi

The gotcha with a Cs is the tubes wear out. Last time I put a tube in a 5071 it cost just
about $40,000 including custom shipping of the “hazardous” Cs. From the description
on that uint it does not *appear* that things are working correctly.

Even if you do get a working Cs standard, the question is - how much longer will the
tube last? It might be good for another 10 years. It might die tomorrow. That tends to be
a bit of a concern as far as running them all the time in a basement lab.

With the high performance tubes in the 5071, my experience was that 6 to 7 years of
continuous use was about it. The “standard” tubes in the 5071 should be good for > 2X that
time period.

None of this is to say that the *only* reason one fails is the tube. It is not at all uncommon
to have other stuff fail. Usually the small stuff gets fixed and they go back into service.
When the tubes go (or the problem is complicated) the go on the market…..

Indeed none of this is to say you *can’t* get a working Cs. You most certainly can. This
list is one pretty good place to find a working one from somebody who *knows* that it is
running properly. I’m not selling any of mine, but you may see emails from people who are.

Of course it there *was* a really good deal on a 5071 … hmmm …. maybe I need another Cs …. :)

Bob