[time-nuts] Spectracom 9189 password reset? Instructions in manual don't work :-(

David Howells dhowells at rowsail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:51:24 UTC 2019

Hello.  I have a Spectracom 9189 for which I need to configure - but do
not have the password.  I am able to communicate with the unit via RS232
and terminal emulator but I am stuck in "user level" mode.  If I try to
login with the default admin password (as per manual) the login fails
due to the wrong password.  If, as per the manual, I enter 'defaults' at
the login prompt - that too is rejected.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Surely the manual cannot be wrong?  I am definitely connected to the
correct serial port.  The only big difference, contrary to the manual,
is that the unit never presents me with a "login" prompt - I have to
enter "login" followed by username and password - or put another way, it
boots and is already at user level login.

Thanks for any help - it would be great to get this unit back up as a
Stratum 1 NTP server :-)

David.