[time-nuts] HP Stories: Battery Chargers, and a fading idolization of HP

Rice, Hugh (IPH Writing Systems) hugh.rice at hp.com
Sun Feb 10 12:35:38 UTC 2019

In reading back over my sarcastic description of the 5061A battery charger, I was pretty hard on the unnamed designer of that circuit.   I did find a schematic of an older generation batter charger for the 5061A, and it had the same basic implementation.

As far as I know, the circuit, in all it’s complexity, was reliable, and causing no field problems.   This really is the most important aspect.   For low volume products, another $5 of component cost, on an instrument that sells for $20,000+, isn’t material.

A guess on what happened, to cut this dude some slack:  As all of you know, the most important aspect of any design is the original definition, or objective for the circuit.    Many times, the circuit designer is not the “architect” of the system, and is just implementing what they are told to do.   Maybe the lead system designer wanted a fast recovery circuit for the batter charger, because marketing wanted to push the feature about how the system would be back to full capacity quickly.    Who knows?

While the implementation had some excessively complicated details, the bigger issue was the requirement for a fast/slow charge, which I felt was unnecessary.    This first designer may not have had the freedom to make that decision.

While working on the circuit, I first started developing my now very strong bias towards “elegant simplicity” in my designs, that I have carried forward to this day.  I’m sure I got a lot of encouragement from some of the older HP engineers to think this way.    I hate complexity that doesn’t add value.  I don’t find it cool or exciting, just a waste.    I am not a good engineer on programs that want to bling out a system with lots of fluff.

Somewhere over the years I picked up this line:   “A good engineer is a lazy engineer.  They are always looking for the easiest way to do things.”     The designer of the 5061A battery charger was definitely not a lazy engineer.

Cheers,

Hugh Rice