[time-nuts] Spectracom 9189 password reset? Instructions in manual don't work :-(

David Howells dhowells at rowsail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:28:39 UTC 2019

Hi Jason

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I interrupted the boot process but
there is no prompt when I do that, I basically get a prompt/text saying
something like "press any key to abort the boot process" and when I do
there is no further communications.  I can try entering
characters/help/etc but no response -not even an error message.  Then
after 20 seconds or so the system returns to booting and I get the
regular '>' prompt.  I do not think it is a linux based unit - it is
possible to enter commands like "DIR" and see 3 empty directories (which
look more like DOS directories than anything).  I've got a feeling that
if Spectracom get back to me they are going to want to reflash the
unit.  Shame really - the manual clearly states that entering "defaults'
at a login prompt when connected directly to the serial port on the back
of the unit should clear the passwords - it clearly does not!

I'll post to the group should I find a solution - there is one other
member who is after a fix too.

With best regards

David.