[time-nuts] NIST time and frequency seminar - 11-14 June in Boulder, CO

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Mon Feb 18 13:39:59 UTC 2019

I'm actually debating on whether to attend this or not.   I really
need to understand a lot of the things related to time and Frequency
better, and it looks like this covers pretty much all of the bases.
The price, although high, isn't out of the range of expectations for
this type of workshop.

For those who have attended in the past, I'd appreciate it if someone
could characterize how much underlying time and frequency knowledge is
needed to be able to at least follow along.  Based on Tom's
description and the topic titles in the agenda, I suspect that I'll be
better than ok, but it is $1900 and I'd really hate to show up and
find out that I'm lost 30 seconds into the first session on the first
day.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 12:09 AM Tom Van Baak <tvb at leapsecond.com> wrote:

> >> https://www.nist.gov/news-events/events/2019/06/2019-nist-time-and-frequency-seminar
> >
> > Mother of God, John, what makes this meeting worth the price?
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Yes, it sounds high but perhaps not out of line for multi-day professional conferences / seminars these days. True, you have to factor in Denver flights and Boulder hotels. But when you consider where it's held and who's speaking and how long it lasts, it starts to look like something between a bargain and a worthy bucket list item. NIST takes T&F seriously; this is not some sort of cheap corporate or product marketing show.
>
> Look over the agenda and note both the wide range of topics covered and the personnel doing so. The sessions tend to be very high quality. A portion of attendees are the kind sent by their companies to "learn about time & frequency" this week, so as a practicing time nut you are well above that. On the other hand, NIST keeps the conference current and practical and detailed so even the most seasoned time nut will learn a great deal. You may also meet lifelong contacts. I have attended and highly recommend it.
>
> If it's just registration price that keeps an energetic curious time nut from attending let me know. In years past I've recommended NIST allow a limited time nut discount and that's worked. Let me know off-list if this is something you'd like to be considered for.
>
> /tvb

- Forrest