[time-nuts] Good clean-up oscillators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Feb 18 19:20:33 UTC 2019

Hi

There are indeed TCXO’s out there that have exactly the same crystals in them
as OCXO’s (other than the cut angle). They are not super common. AT based
OCXO’s are not as popular as they once were. Large(r) package / high price
TCXO’s also are not what most people go out and buy.

All that said, there are at least several million TCXO’s with 10 MHz 3rd overtone
AT cut OCXO crystals  “out in the wild”. They were produced over at least a 30 year
period.They went into a variety of applications. They may still be in production somewhere.

With a TCXO, you have a wide range tuning circuit fed by a temperature compensation
network of some sort. That and the lack of thermal buffering are what degrade
the close in performance when you *do* use a fancy crystal.

Bob