[time-nuts] AD9912 DDS frequency resolution measurement (and OT LTC6957)

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Wed Feb 20 02:47:29 UTC 2019

Am 19.02.19 um 12:29 schrieb Bo Hansen:
> Hi
>
> I have experience with the AD9912 in this H/W and S/W implementation: <http://rudius.net/oz2m//ngnb/dds.htm>
>
> But I must admit that I personally haven't measured the minimum frequency step size. Poul-Henning Kamp, among others, is using one of the AD9912 DDS units and observed a similar error, I think, that he has solved in this S/W: <http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/ftw.c>
>
> Whatever applies list the FTW values and calculate back to the real frequency and see if the frequency change is correct.
>
> A friend of mine has a x96 multiplier from 108 MHz to 10 GHz but we don't have access to any counters capable if measuring the difference.

Actually, you can measure that with a voltmeter.

Force the frequency tuning word to 0x0000 0000 0000 and verify that the
sine output stays at 0

or wherever it was if you already have a phase offset.

Then set the f-word to 0x0000 0000 0001 and check after 19.5 hours if
the sine has crept by 90°.

BTW I've opened a case in AD's engineering zone this weekend about the
LTC6957 sine-to-square chip.

<
https://ez.analog.com/clock_and_timing/f/q-a/107463/ltc6957-ims-3-output-oscillations

When it has no load at all, then connecting an inch of wire to one of
the outputs makes the other

output show some oscillations. Maybe the data sheet needs a minimum rise
time or minimum

input frequency spec. 1 MHz at 2Vpp  is already slow.

Not a show stopper, but that does not build confidence. Impressive
output rise time for CMOS, nevertheless.

And the AD9901 phase comparator I mentioned there at EZ was not a real
one from AD. :-)

It was a tiny corner in a $2  64-FlipFlop Coolrunner CPLD and half a
page of added VHDL.

best regards,

Gerhard