[time-nuts] Atomic Clocks: It is important that they keep good time, Part 1

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jan 4 22:53:41 UTC 2019

--------
In message <5C2FCFF8.1030803 at telight.com>, ed breya writes:

>Paul, what do you mean by the display "looking pretty ratty?" As I
>recall, the original buck regulator had regulated output voltage around
>5V for the LEDs. and the PMOS clock IC needed something around 12V.
>Whatever the LEDs run from, it should be regulated and well filtered. If
>the LEDs are dim, it could be the old displays themselves are
>deteriorated, or the regulation isn't right, or maybe a bad output
>filter cap on the buck converter.

In my case it was clearly the power-supply, the NS clock chip worked fine.

I simply replaced the entire power-supply board with my own round PCB
with a couple of DC/DC converters and a microcontroller running of
the 5MHz (PPSDIV style) which produces a 1Hz to the NS chip:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/hacks/HP5065A/20160112_working_clock/index.html

I still have a pile of those PCB's in case any of you want one.