[time-nuts] Atomic Clocks: It is important that they keep good time, Part 1

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Jan 4 23:44:07 UTC 2019

Yes Paul, LEDs wear out over time. By the late 70s and into the 80s, I
think they were improved and perfected to the point where wearout is
very slow and barely noticeable visually, and efficiency is much higher
compared to the oldies. Even opto-couplers are sometimes specified for
LED wearout, in the form of CTR degradation over time.

I don't know what vintage were used in these clocks, but they are fairly
old, and likely have lots of running hours in this application. The ones
in mine still look good, but I did look into replacements way back when
I started - at least for spares in case any crapped out. I don't recall
the part numbers or package style/pinout, but do recall they were
HP-made. Putting more modern ones in would likely improve the display,
and could reduce the power needed to light them - that is, if the
pinouts and styles can be found that readily match up with the oldies. I
think I probably have set aside some of the same types salvaged from
other HP gear from that era, but if enough went bad or I wanted
improvement, I'd look at newer stuff.

Ed