[time-nuts] Noisy clocks [Was: Atomic Clocks]

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:01:24 UTC 2019

Does anyone know how loud the mechanical analog clock in the HP-113AR
Frequency Divider/Clock is supposed to be? Mine is loud to the point of
being annoying. I've surrounded it with insulation, which helps, but it's
not really quiet. I never saw one of these things when new (1960) so I've
no idea whether the noise is simply a function of design and construction
or if mine is worn after 50+ years of use. [The noise is mechanical
gear-type noise, not 1000 Hz whine from the driving frequency.]

Jeremy