[time-nuts] Part 2: Atomic Clocks: It is important that they keep good time.

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jan 5 03:16:08 UTC 2019

Hugh,

What year is your photo from? Here's a similar, but older photo of hp's house standard:

http://leapsecond.com/history/Benchmark.htm

This was from roughly 1966 (note the dual hp 5060A). The HPJ issue containing that article is here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1966-08.pdf

The house standard is featured on page 20, but there's also a glimpse of it on the top of page 15.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rice, Hugh (IPH Writing Systems)" <hugh.rice at hp.com>
To: <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 4:07 PM
Subject: [time-nuts] Part 2: Atomic Clocks: It is important that they keep good time.

HP's  Santa Clara Division (SCD), in addition to building the Cesium Beam Frequency Standard Atomic Clocks, was an official time-keeper for the U.S. Naval Observatory, maintaining the west coast reference for Coordinated Universal Time.   This was done in our standards lab where we kept a rack of several HP Cesium standards.   Hopefully the attached picture of the lab comes through for some of you.