[time-nuts] Atomic Clocks: It is important that they keep good time, Part 1

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Mon Jan 7 03:02:22 UTC 2019

On 5/1/19 6:45 am, paul swed wrote:
> Yes indeed I also would like one of the analog clocks. But be careful what
> you ask for....
> I have a friend in Switzerland that does have a 5065 with the analog clock.
> It tends to drive you a bit crazy with the tick of the step so he says. I
> may believe that as I used impulse clocks for world time (1 min steps)for
> years and have to say it really is annoying. I finally did replace them
> with very quite clocks and don't miss the tick at all. There actually is a
> tick from the 4 clocks but really low in amplitude. Easily ignored.

I have a few NTP-synced (and PoE powered) analog clocks at home, a pair
Symmetricom branded and a pair Spectracom, both are rebrands from
different companies (Masterclock & Sapling respectively IIRC).

One is a sweep hand, the other step, but both are loud enough to be
annoying if it's particularly quiet.

I keep one of the sweep-hand ones in my bedroom, and despite living
inner-city where it's rarely quiet, late on a still night I can hear the
motor (and it is annoying).

The step clock is rather louder, but I keep it in my office which has a
much higher noise floor, but even there it can be noticable.