[time-nuts] VHF-UHF Frequency Calibrator

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Jan 8 00:13:11 UTC 2019

Brooke wrote:

"I checked optically, using an Ohmmeter and using the Diode Test function of a Fluke 87 DMM.  It's an inductor.

I share your concern as to how 11 GHz signals come from tube equipment with point to point wiring."

OK, so much for that idea. The appearance of the part threw me off track - I thought it was a glass body with metal ends, like an old-style diode. I saved and enlarged the picture, and now I can see it looks like an iron powder or ferrite core, and the wire winding around it is evident. So, it looks like it's all about getting enough harmonics from the tube plate signal. I'd imagine it's driven pretty hard, to make narrow plate current pulses. I'm curious about how much comb power and uniformity it has. Can you fire it up yet, and see what it looks like on an SA?

Ed