[time-nuts] Short term 10MHz source

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 9 00:03:23 UTC 2019

John,

Recall that the quantization is really a form of time-stamp value for
the channel in it's relation to the time-base. It's a systematic pattern
in the time-base clock and it is phase-locked to the time-base phase.

Let's just think of our time-base as being a 10 MHz. That 100 ns cycle
is then interpolated to the coarse-count clock, so let's assume a 100
MHz coarse-clock which is phase-locked to the 10 MHz time-base, now you
have 10 ns steps which interpolates the 100 ns. However, since we want a
higher resolution, we then use a time-interpolation technique of some
sort to get higher resolution, let's say we create a 50 ps resolution
which then interpolates over the coard-counter's 10 ns, that gives
10000/50 = 20000/100 = 200 steps interpolation steps. If we for the
moment assume that this interpolation is perfectly linear, they will be
very neatly distributed exactly 50 ps appart in relation to the 10 ns
and hence the 100 ns of the time-base.

Now, as we have two of these channels, if both of them is asynchronous
to the time-base, over time you will sweep over the full range of these
for both clocks, and you get an average of them and the statistics of
them smoooth out.

If we now let one of the channels actually be either directly be a
delayed version of the time-base clock or a low-jitter generated version
of the time-base but at some other frequency (such as 1 Hz of PPS) as
you compare these back to the time-base, they have a relatively static
relationship in the systematic context and what only remains is the pure
random phase-noise relationship of WPM and FPM, and essentially you can
now have a situation where the noise is low enough that you hit almost
all your triggers in the same interpolation bin on that channel, with a
few hits in the side-bins. For this all of a sudden the systematic noise
of that channel is almost or completely gone for all practical purposes.
As you now is measuring the other channel which is asynchronous, you
only see the asynchronous noise of that channel.

If you have a synthesized signal which does not hit the same spot in the
interpolation bin on each occasion you may either have a scenario of
hitting only a few spots for simple frequency rations or you end up
sweeping the full range. The more you go towards the full range, the
more the signal acts like a asynchronous signal. This is what creates
the funky resolution plot vs. frequency as you sweep over the fractional
frequency relationships between an input channel and time-base for a
normal frequency setup. It's a very systematic feature. As you sweep
over many points of the interpolators phase error, non-linearities of
the quantization step compared to the phase of the time-base will expose
themselves more and more.

Now, if we now use a delay cable to insert the same signal into the
start and stop, we can have a scenario where both start and stop
interpolators hit about the same bin if they are fed from the time-base
(or a source with a frequency very near the timebase) and then what is
measured will look very much better than the actual noise floor, unless
the signal is rise-time limited and cause severe trigger jitter on both
channels, at which time you hit a range of interpolator bins. Anyway,
with good signal conditions your baseline measurement will give you
over-confident values for your baseline measurement than would be the
case for one or both of these being asynchronous to the timeb-base.
For such a cable setup to give reasonable baseline it needs to be done
either with a source which is clearly asynchronous or has a fractional
rate which within the datacollection range sweeps the full range more or
less equally well.

So, to conclude, the quantization noise that we have is very systematic
in its nature, and depending on your measurement setup it can play out
very differently for you. I've only showed some of the scenarios here,
but you can play out more scenarios which have interesting effects.

You just have to be very careful with this.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
Magnus