[time-nuts] Short term 10MHz source

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jan 9 02:05:43 UTC 2019

> Wouldn't any counter that has 50 picosecond resolution look the same?

Nope. If you had a 20 GHz timebase you'd have 50 ps resolution and all your readings would be exact multiples of 50 ps. It would be very clean and simple. Readings of 25 ps or 49 ps or any other non-multiple of 50 ps would never occur. The histogram would be composed of thin vertical lines -- each exactly 50 ps apart.

> Its data output is quantized by its resolution.  For example, the 5334A
> with 2ns resolution will always show bins no less than 2ns apart.

Right, the 5335A has a 500 MHz clock and so all readings are multiples of 2 ns. The counter cannot output a reading that ends in 1 ns or .123 ns. The histogram would be composed of thin vertical lines -- each exactly 2 ns apart.

Now it gets a bit more complicated with an interpolating counter, like a SR620 or hp5370. In this case there are fractions involved, but they are fixed fractions.

The numerology [1] for SR620 quantization is something like 90 MHz, 111.11 ns, 1/512, for a final result of 21.701... ps.
The numerology [2] for the hp5370 is something like 200 MHz, 5 ns, 257/256, 5.01953125 ns, 1/256, for a final result of 19.607... ps
There is determinism or fine quantization in the readings because even though this ~20 ps value is not a nice round number, it is a fixed number.

/// Consequently, for any of the 4 counters mentioned above, if you take a noise floor dataset and sort | uniq -c you will see a small number of large peaks. Like a picket fence. A picket fence inside a Gaussian envelope.

What we see in the TICC is something quite different. It's not a problem, just very different. Why is that?

> You've mentioned this before, and I'm having trouble getting my head
> around it.  I may have this all wrong, but isn't the quantization simply
> the resolution of the device?  Your histogram shows humps about 50
> picoseconds apart, but that's the resolution of the counter.

Here's what's happening. Unlike the counters mentioned above there is no fixed cycle or fraction in the TICC. The ring counter is free-running and its rate can vary from unit to unit, from temperature to temperature, from reading to reading. That's why the all-important post-calibration step is performed for every reading. This results in readings that are not fixed fractions of 1 ns or 20 ps or 64 ps or 62.5 ps or any other deterministic value. So each vertical "line" of the histogram is no longer a thin line, it is spread out quite a lot.

/// If you take a TICC noise floor dataset and sort | uniq -c you will also see small number of large peaks, but the peaks are fat camel humps instead of thin picket fences. [3] It has a completely different look. Gaussian camel humps within a Gaussian envelope.

/tvb

[1] SR620 math: https://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/pdfs/manuals/SR620m.pdf
[2] hp5370 math: http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1978-08.pdf
[3] http://leapsecond.com/pages/ticc/