[time-nuts] Misuse of word "decimate" (was Re: Short term 10MHz source)

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:12:19 UTC 2019

Truncate, to me at least, means to shorten : ie to remove some precision by
rounding off lower bits.

I agree that the source of the word 'decimate' is unclear, but I think,
within the field of DSP, it has a reasonably precise definition whether or
not that corresponds with wider usage or derivation.