[time-nuts] Misuse of word "decimate" (was Re: Short term 10MHz source)

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:58:25 UTC 2019

This is not misuse. Everyone in signal processing knows what decimation
means in this context.

I pulled out one of my older signal processing books - Gold and Rader,
"Digital Processing Of Signals", 1969 - and Decimation is used in several
places exactly as we use it today.

I looked in some of my non-digital signal processing and older books, like
MIT Rad Lab series, and don't see the term used, but I know that I heard
old-timers using decimation used in automatic analog signal processing
especially with regard to "zooming out" on a spectrum analyzer or
pinball-style pulse-height analyzer (often the knobs gave you only factors
of ten).

Tim N3QE