[time-nuts] Misuse of word "decimate" (was Re: Short term 10MHz source)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 10 15:29:40 UTC 2019

Hi

Pretty much every DVM out there spits out more digits than make sense accuracy wise. It
certainly makes sense to note in the doc’s what the accuracy / resolution of the device is.
Keeping the extra digit does not cost anything in this case. It *might* come in useful if somebody
spent the time to work out how to phase modulate the reference to “fill in the gaps”. As
Magnus has noted in the past, HP did this on real world counters once upon a time….

Bob