[time-nuts] Misuse of word "decimate" (was Re: Short term 10MHz source)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 10 20:01:14 UTC 2019

Hi

For a quick dive into the basics of what has to happen in order to get more bits
from an ADC when decimating:

http://www.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/snoa232/snoa232.pdf <http://www.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/an/snoa232/snoa232.pdf>

Is a free on the internet source. There are somewhat better (and more complete)
descriptions in various books. “Multirate Signal Processing” by Harris is one, “Digital
Signal Processing in Communications Systems” by Frerking (a TImeNut …) is
another one. There are *many* others.

While this is normally applied to voltage to digital conversion (ADC), it also very
much applies to time to digital conversion as well.

Bob