[time-nuts] Short term 10MHz source (and unrelated comment)

Leo Bodnar leo at leobodnar.com
Fri Jan 11 19:20:08 UTC 2019

Magnus, I am very sorry for speaking out of turn.
Few messages earlier you have referred to the raw PPS and I thought I might offer an insight to what is happening inside Ublox chipset hardware that is otherwise not know to vast majority of its users, including most members here. I only speak up when I think I can offer something others cannot. Perhaps, I should have quoted your other message. Perhaps, I should have just continued reading instead.

> From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.se>
> For some GPSDOs you get a PPS and is "raw" from GPS module and not  resynthesized from the steered 10 MHz.
> Now, if one uses this PPS it would get quite a bit of noise, but if one was to measure that noise against the smoothed 10 MHz with a separate TIC/TICC one should be able to use the PPS as a transfer oscillator with
> the right rate but get close to the smoothed 10 MHz as stability.

> From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>
> Recall that the quantization is really a form of time-stamp value for
> the channel in it's relation to the time-base. It's a systematic pattern
> in the time-base clock and it is phase-locked to the time-base phase.
> So, to conclude, the quantization noise that we have is very systematic
> in its nature,

> On 1/9/19 10:10 AM, Leo Bodnar wrote:
>> Depends what you call "systematic"...

> From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>
> Leo,
> Now, what I was talking about was frequency/time-interval counters in
> this case, not GPS-chips or GPSDOs. So, your comment seems out of
> context in that regard.

I feel increasingly uncomfortable posting here as one gets subtly condescending remarks from celebrated members of what comes across as an elite club of few dozen intellectuals discussing same few topics in rounds.  I am only mentioning this in light of TVB's unexpected post on EEVBlog (which is at the other extreme of creative engineering community) that seemingly invites new members to join the list.  These two establishments can't be further apart in their culture and average knowledge level and I am fascinated to see what might happen as a result.
Thanks
Leo