[time-nuts] Portable Time Standard

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 11 20:26:56 UTC 2019

Hi

The most common approach to “monitor” a quartz movement is to listen to
it at 32,768 KHz with a tuned microphone. If it is an analog movement, then
one can detect the sound of the motor driving the mechanical side.

Do you need a device with a visual readout or are you after something that
gives you an electrical signal (like a PPS)?

Is DIY ok in this application? If so, there are a lot of TCXO’s out there that
will do at least as well as what you are looking for. A very different approach
would be a GPS (or WWVB) module with a battery attached to it.

If a watch is “ok”, there are WWVB and GPS watches that will do much
better than 1 second accuracy for not very insane sort of prices.

Bob