[time-nuts] leapseconds, converting between GPS time (week, second) and UTC

Fiorenzo Cattaneo fio at cattaneo.us
Wed Jan 16 13:36:08 UTC 2019

Yes of course you are right. NTP timebase (based on UTC with an epoch
of 1900-01-01 00:00:00, or its representation in Unix time - seconds
since 1970-01-01 00:00:00) is timezone independent.

I just wanted to make the point that in the IT world (I've worked for
Amazon, Microsoft, Twitter and now I work for another major IT
supplier) we keep spending billions of dollars to maintain really
crappy and cruddy libraries which deal with timezones, and still get
plenty of bugs every time.
Not to mention NTP issues when leapseconds are addded (the only
company which handled the last leap second correctly was google, as
they slowly slewed at the rate of 1s/hour).

So in such an abysmal situation, I would be hugely surprised to find
commercial libraries that handle UTC, UT, TAI and GPS time correctly.
It's simply not a priority.

There are a few libraries here and there that supposedly handle it
correctly, but I wouldn't count on them unless they get heavily
tested.

That was my point, sorry if I was confusing.

-- Fio Cattaneo

Universal AC, can Entropy be reversed? -- "THERE IS AS YET
INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."