[time-nuts] Tuning a Thunderbolt

Dustin Marquess dmarquess at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 23:36:57 UTC 2019

Looking for guidance.  I tried to piece together parts from the Lady
Heather Readme, the heather.cpp comments, and the mailing list
archives, but since it's all bit and pieces, I want to make sure I'm
piecing said pieces together correctly!

I have a Trimble Thunderbolt E that I bought many years ago that has
been sitting in a box.  It's been out of the box once or twice for
quick testing, but I wasn't able to get a good enough fix and so it
went back into the box.

Forward until now and I finally have a decent antenna mounted and
everything working.  The firmware been updated to a lot something
somewhat recent.  I hooked everything up, ran Trimble Studio to verify
a fix and set the cable delay.  I then checked that Lady Heather
worked and let everything sit for about a week or so.

After that week, I believe the correct procedure is:

- Set the elevation mask angle to 0.0 (fe, 0.0) & signal level mask to
1.0 (fl, 1.0)
- Clear and let run for a 6-12 hours (cm)
- Run a site precision survey (/sp=96)
- Autotune the DAC (&a)
- Save to EEPROM (ee)

Is there anything else that I'm missing?  Do I have the order correct?

I also have a Motorola M12+-based CNS Clock & a Ublox NEO-M8T to do
after the Thunderbolt E.  I assume that the procedure is mostly
similar for those?

Thanks for the pointers, and sorry if any of this falls under the
"stupid questions" section!

-Dustin