[time-nuts] Metastability (was: Re: HP Stories: Frequency Counter business decline, Modulation Domain Analyzers, geeks as models)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jan 21 15:31:26 UTC 2019

Circa 1982:

After the cancellation of the HP 10816 mini rubidium
product, I worked on the 5183 "Waveform Recorder"
(the name was a euphemism to deflect charter wars
with the scope division which was just getting into
digital scopes).  I was tasked with designing a DRAM
memory board, to replace the SRAM memory boards used
previously.  I designed a FIFO buffer to collect
samples coming in during refresh intervals.

The samples came in a 4 MHz, but memory was clocked
at 4.6 MHz, which I determined was sufficient to allow
refreshing without an overflow.  The data had to be
resynched with the 4.6 MHz clock.  Somehow I became
aware of metastability, which was new to me, and
unknown to most engineers at SCD.

I designed a state machine running on a 32 MHz clock
to resync 4 MHz clock edges.  A number of engineers
know just enough to be dangerous and suggested the
technique is to just make a shift register and run
the incoming edge through n flip flops. "Everyone knew" that
was the thing to do.  NOT.  Actually, I only had to
reclock 2 times, but the delay between the two registers
had to be MUCH longer than the 31 ns period of the
32 MHz clock.  I characterized the flip flops I
was using to make a probability curve of metastability
events per year vs delay time using a special fixturing
board.  I ended up choosing a time delay that extrapolated
to something like 1 event in 10 years, just about "never".
In those days, 32 MHz clocking was considered very high
speed for the available TTL logic.

I authored my very first patent covering the DRAM system.
If interested, search on my name for inventor and go to
the oldest listing, early 1980's.

Later in the project we had a problem where about once a
day, the HPIB chip would hang.  I built a special triggering
circuit to catch it in the act and capture the smoking gun
on the logic analyzer.  The smoking gun was that the bus
would go into "serial poll" mode, which it should "never"
have done.  The general concensus was that this
was caused by metastability in the "PHI" chip as it was
called.  I don't remember the fix, maybe something like
a watch dog that would use my trigger to just clear the error.
You'd get a daily corrupted measurement, but at least it
wouldn't hang.

Rick N6RK