[time-nuts] HP Stories: Frequency Counter business

Gordon Batey gpbatey at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 21 19:15:36 UTC 2019

Greetings to all,

I believe that was the HP 525 counter.  I had one as my first counter
which I picked up surplus many years ago.  It had several plug-ins for
different
frequency ranges.  Kept the basement warm in the winter time.  The vhf
plugin was a heterodyne mixer as I recall.  This unit ontained MANY tubes
and a
fairly large fan to remove the heat.  I gave it to another ham several years
ago.

I really enjoy the HP stories.

Gordon Batey
WA4FJC

Hi,
I used an HP counter in 1961 that had these vertical strings of neon tubes
behind numbers, and the two least significant decimals were read off two
milliamp meters numbered 0 to 10. For each count the needles would point to
the number to be read. The whole instrument was a 2 foot cube that sat on a
trolley.
After all this time I can not remember the model number. Our company
repaired Air force instruments and recalibration of frequency ?meters?
(calibrated heterodyne oscillators).
Cheers,
Neville Michie