[time-nuts] Ublox F9P multi-band GPS receiver

J. Grizzard elfchief-timenuts at lupine.org
Mon Jan 21 21:43:46 UTC 2019

Per the integration guide
(https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/ZED-F9P_IntegrationManual_%28UBX-18010802%29.pdf),
the recommended antenna should be between 30dB and 40dB of gain.

Additional note: ublox is releasing an eval board (p/n C099-F9P) which
is similar to the sparkfun board, except a less annoying form factor
(can work as a standalone thing, or fit on an arduino), additional
interface options (wifi and bluetooth, pretty useful if you're doing
RTK), less annoying connectors (SMA), and ships with the ublox
multi-band antenna ... all for $50 more than the sparkfun, according to
digi-key. They're not available yet, but I imagine the will be soon. See
https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/c099-f9p-application-board#tab-documentation-resources
for more details.

On a vaguely related note, I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit
something like a AE6RV GPSDO with one of these. The footprint is pretty
different (and there's a big pile of ground/thermal connections on the
bottom of the new chip), but it seems like the actual electrical
interface is probably the same in the important ways, so it might be
possible to make an adapter board, maybe...

-j