[time-nuts] HP Stories: Frequency Counter business

w4wj at aol.com w4wj at aol.com
Mon Jan 21 22:16:49 UTC 2019

I was spoiled...
I spent 3 years in Ethiopia, '65 - '68, with the ArmySecurity Agency.  Our shop looked like a TEK andHP Catalog!!  Our FREQ REF rack was the GSQ-53A,dual Sulzer 5MHz ovenized oscillators which we phase compared against GBR on 16KHz.

We ran the phase chart 24/7 to make sure we kept things stable!  The Sulzer oscillators were very impressive.  Very little tweaking was needed to keep the chart trackingdown the middle during light/light and dark/dark times!
As far as our counter was concerned...  It was thesweet HP 5245L, with a bunch of plug-ins takingus beyond 17GHz.
Whenever the "calibration" truck would come to oursite, we would feed our REF 5MHz out to them so theycould check their standard!  ;-)
We had a very large DMM, and they would check theirstandard cell with it!
It was a FUN time!!
73DonW4WJex ET3FMA