[time-nuts] Help with Novatel OEM6 external oscillator

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 22 13:31:11 UTC 2019

Hi

Simple answer is:

1) (assuming you just want GPS) to try each of the settings and see what gives
you the best signal to noise. I’d bet they have very little impact if you have a good
oscillator.

2) If you are building a GPSDO, the only useful setting is USER. There it’s a matter
of measuring the noise on the composite GPS + OCXO (or whatever) and tweaking
to get the best result. Their presets might or might not be reasonable starting points
for the type of oscillator you have.

I’ll let others write the 200 pages that it would take to go through the other stuff completely :)
Part of it gets into why we have more than just ADEV out there ….

Bob