[time-nuts] Ublox F9P multi-band GPS receiver

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 22 15:29:22 UTC 2019

Hi

On a “chip" based setup like this, it’s a matter of pulling the TCXO and putting in some
wires. Whatever frequency the TCXO used to supply, that’s what your magic external
device needs to provide. The designers do not seem to allow you to provide a variety
of input frequencies. Given how the input gets used for all sorts of things, that’s not
as crazy as it sounds.

The option to pull the TCXO and fiddle has been there for quite a while. At some point
they will move the TCXO function inside the “chip" package (with MEMS or some other
magic). Once they do, the ability to tear it off will become a bit more difficult…. :)

Once you do replace the TCXO, you then are very dependent on a sawtooth correction
to run your GPSDO. The PPS becomes one big long hanging bridge and thus is not useful.
Carrier phase or (like in the TBolt) code phase data could be used as an alternative to
a sawtooth correction word.

There also are some pesky issues about frequency slew rates and other nonsense you
could bump into doing a TCXO replacement.  I can’t think of any that would be terribly
hard to take care of. That all assumes you have a good clean reference.

Bob